The Anti-Necktie Movement

OK, so there really is no movement yet but I’m hoping to start one. As humans we do some really stupid, pointless things – one of which is wearing a necktie. We guys waste a good thirty seconds each day tying a piece of fabric tightly around our necks with full understanding that it’s going to piss us off all day. Sure we get used to it, but what’s the first thing we take off as soon as we get home? That’s it – our ties, unless it’s our shoes but I’m not ready to promote the barefoot movement yet.

I’ve had a number of jobs but there has been only one where I wore a tie each day. The job was as a nightclub bouncer. Since then I have refused to wear a tie (bouncers will understand why) – not even to job interviews. I’ll put on a nice shirt and a good suite but never a tie. It just seems pointless.

I think we wear ties because it makes us feel professional, serious and confident, maybe even a little superior. It sets us apart from the rest of the workforce, those poor plebeians who have such crap jobs they don’t get to wear a tie.

But I look at it differently. Particularly as a manager I want to be seen as approachable, as someone who doesn’t just rely on his position for respect but rather on his skills, personality and charisma. As a manager the most important quality is the ability to communicate effectively with the people being managed. I find it a much more positive and rewarding experience by not wearing a tie.

So I urge you, breath easy, burn your ties and make the world a better place.